Odisha has become the first state to extend the ongoing lockdown till April 30. “At this crucial juncture, one has to decide between protecting the lives of people and economic activity,” chief minister Naveen Patnaik said. Meanwhile, Prime minister Narendra Modi is said to be in favour of extending the confinement phase across the country. He will be meeting chief ministers on April 11 for consultation, after which a final call is likely to be taken.
Meanwhile, here’s what states are doing:
- Haryana is doubling salaries of government doctors, nurses and paramedics.
- Delhi, Odisha and UP have made masks mandatory for people stepping out of their homes. It is also compulsory in Mumbai.
- Delhi plans to conduct 1 lakh random tests in hotspot areas.
- Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh have begun home delivery of FIRs for lockdown violators.
- Mizoram has launched a Covid-19 mobile app and farmer’s helpline.