QUETTA, Aug 11 : Baloch leader Mir Yar Baloch on Tuesday urged the international community to recognise Balochistan's "independence", while accusing Pakistan of carrying out widespread repression and human rights violations in the region.
In a post on X marking what he described as Balochistan's Independence Day, Mir Yar Baloch said the people of the region were no longer merely celebrating independence but were demanding its recognition "legally, politically, diplomatically and morally".
He also called on the United Nations, ASEAN, African Union, Organisation of Islamic Cooperation and European countries to break their silence on the situation in Balochistan.
"The six crore people of Balochistan celebrate their national independence day every year on the 11th of August. Today we have reached a stage where we do not merely celebrate our independence, but demand from the world that the independence of Balochistan be recognised legally, politically, diplomatically and morally," he said.
Mir Yar Baloch alleged that more than 50,000 Baloch people were enduring "inhuman atrocities" in Pakistani detention and torture facilities, saying their sacrifices would not be forgotten.
He further accused Pakistani security forces of shutting down mobile and internet services in parts of Balochistan to prevent people from marking the occasion.
"To prevent the celebrations of Balochistan's independence, Pakistan's occupying foreign army has shut down mobile and internet services," he alleged, adding that trenches had been dug around military cantonments and police stations in Kalat, Quetta, Khuzdar and other areas.
He also claimed that Pakistani aircraft, drones and helicopters were conducting surveillance over the region.
Mir Yar Baloch claimed that despite the restrictions, people had continued to mark the occasion in different parts of Balochistan.
He also asserted that Balochistan' natural resources has the potential to transform the region economically , making it self-sufficient and enable it to contribute to global health, education and humanitarian initiatives.
His remarks come amid longstanding tensions in Balochistan, where rights groups have repeatedly raised concerns over enforced disappearances, arbitrary arrests, prolonged detentions and targeted killings. Pakistani authorities have consistently rejected allegations that state forces are responsible for such abuses.
Mir Yar Baloch also made claims about the strength and preparedness of a proposed Balochistan army, including an assertion that the "Republic of Balochistan" had prepared a force of 500,000 personnel. (UNI)